This Code of Conduct applies to all of our coaches.
TRUE SPORT COACHES’ CODE OF CONDUCT
It is imperative that coaches understand and adhere to BYLAW #1 ‘The Spirit of Junior Football’.
As a coach, I understand that as an integral component of my accreditation, I must maintain a standard of behaviour and conduct in the best interests of the game and the players/staff in my care.
In representing myself in an honest manner, and without bringing the coaching profession or the Game into disrepute, I promote the eight values of True Sport and I will uphold the following to the best of my ability:
- I will respect the rights, dignity and worth of all individuals within the context of my involvement in Australian Football, including refraining from any discriminatory practices on the basis of race, religion, ethnic background, or special ability/disability. #IncludeAll
- I will abide by and teach the AFL Laws of the Game and the Rules of my Club, District and League/Association. #PlayFair
- I will be reasonable in the demands I make on the time commitments of the players in my care, having due consideration for their health and well-being. #BeHealthy
- I will be supportive at all times and I will refrain from any form of personal abuse or unnecessary physical contact with the players in my care. #BeSafe
- I will have due consideration for varying maturity and ability levels of my players when designing practice schedule, practice activities and involvement in competition. #BeHealthy
- I will avoid overplaying the talented players aiming to maximise participation and enjoyment for all players regardless of ability. Where I am responsible for players in the 5-18 year old age group, I will strive to ensure that all players gain equal playing time. #IncludeAll
- I will stress and monitor safety always. #BeSafe
- In recognising the significance of injury and sickness, I will seek and follow the physician’s advice concerning the return of injured, concussed or ill players to training. #BeSafe
- I will keep informed regarding sound principles of coaching and skill development, and of factors relating to the welfare of my players.#BeSafe
- I will at all times display and teach appropriate sporting behaviour, ensuring that players understand and practise fair play. #PlayFair
- I will display and foster respect for umpires, opponents, coaches, administrators, other officials, parents and spectators. #ShowRespect
- I will ensure that players are involved in a positive environment where skill learning and development are priorities and are not overshadowed by a desire to win. #HaveFun
- I reject the use of performance enhancing substances in sport and will abide by the guidelines set forth in the AFL Drug Policy. #PlayFair
Note: This “True Sport Coaches Code of Conduct” is to be signed and adhered to as part of the accreditation requirements of the AFL & WAFC. Coaches should be aware that, in addition to this Code, they may be obliged to sign a further Code of Conduct/Ethics with their Club and/or League or State Sports Association (WAFC).